Inspired by Sabella founder, managing director and creative director Joanna Harvey’s lifelong passion for stylish, welcoming, and functional interiors, we provide creative and considerate design that uncovers a property’s true potential – and transforms houses into homes.
From creating the perfect lighting scheme for a residential extension, or refurbishing an entire period property, to commissioning artwork for a boutique hotel or restaurant, no design challenge is too large or small. Our signature eye for detail and flair for great design produce sustainably sourced, refined, well-considered interiors that deliver longevity and timeless elegance.
Our work is all about YOU – your vision, your values and your lifestyle. While we may be experts in interior design, we understand that every day is a school day, and our client’s thoughts and considerations are always ‘our priority’ on every project. We take a friendly, collaborative, holistic approach, working with private clients, business owners, architects, and property developers to fully understand their ideas and aspirations, before creating spaces that are luxurious, beautifully finished, and perfectly designed for their purpose. Before we get started on any project, our first task is to fully understand and visualise how a space will be used and enjoyed, as this guides every design decision we will make together.
We are always mindful of our client’s individual needs and requirements, tailoring each project to the budget and scope. Our job is to bring their vision to life, while confidently and meticulously managing all aspects of a project from start to finish, providing effortless design solutions that transform both residential and commercial spaces in the UK and internationally.
We also partner with trusted suppliers, experienced trades professionals and talented artists to deliver an exceptional standard of craftsmanship, high-quality materials and bespoke
What we promise:
At the heart of everything we do is a commitment to working authentically and with integrity. Our clients’ needs guide and inform all our decisions – it is our job to achieve their vision. At Sabella, we understand that every project may face challenges that need to be overcome, and we know from experience that a candid, realistic and appropriate approach will help us make informed decisions together to resolve issues and achieve the best outcome.
Our Operating Principles:
- Best Practice and Due Diligence are always the guiding foundation of our operation.
- Candid communication.
- Clear objectives – it is imperative to understand the key element of any project. They are the finances, function, form and finish. This allows us to maintain a high-level and detailed overall picture of the project and budget at every stage of the design process. We can then work with you to prioritise and plan appropriately.
- Consistency in our delivery to support the key elements.We believe that architecture and design should work seamlessly together from the very start of your project. Bringing the architectural and interior design elements together at every stage of your project can also save time and budget, enabling us to co-ordinate our in-house team of trusted craftspeople, trades and suppliers on your behalf.
- We like to engage with all the experienced professionals, trades, and craftsmen who may be collaborating with us at the earliest opportunity to ensure we all understand the brief and what is expected of us.
- We try and only work with the trades/craftsmen who have worked on one of our homes first before we allow them to work on our client’s projects.
What we ask of you:
- Candid communication to help us build rapport and trust. We will be spending a lot of time with you, getting to know you and your family intimately to understand what you need and desire. We may have to have some difficult conversations – but with mutual respect, honest communication is always the best way.
- An open mind – Creativity is born out of curiosity. Dorothy Parker once said, “Creativity is a wild mind and a disciplined eye”.
What you want, and what you may discover you may need are usually pleasant surprises.”
My favourite design guideline:
Socrates said “If measure and symmetry are absent in any composition and degree, ruin awaits both ingredients and composition… Measure and symmetry are beauty and virtue the world over.” I could not agree more.
About Joanna Harvey
The creative force behind Sabella Interiors, founder and creative director Joanna Harvey skilfully balances a project’s overall vision with an eye for the smallest of details. Her instinctive understanding of how living and working spaces are best used and enjoyed produces beautiful and functional design.
Inspired by a childhood captivated by the glamour, stagecraft and settings of TV and film, Joanna originally trained in curtain-making and drapery with best-selling author and curtain maker Lady Caroline Wrey, and received expert tuition in skilled and detailed sewing from Sue Hazell. Joanna’s eye for fine furnishings and attention to detail learned throughout her career remains central to Sabella Interiors’ ethos.
SBID accredited, RIBA affiliated, co-chair of the RIBA Women Architects Meetings (WAM) Group in Berkshire and recently nominated in the Best Residential Interior Design category in The Northwest, Joanna believes that her team’s absolute commitment to every project, from start to finish, is key to their success.
‘Supported by my wonderful team, it’s my job to ensure that every project is completed properly, right down to the last detail,’ says Joanna. ‘I’m not happy until everyone working on the project, and most importantly – our client – is happy. I’m not just the one with the clipboard giving orders on site – I’m very hands-on and regularly roll up my sleeves to help finish the work, even down to doing the dusting!
‘We believe in putting the same level of care and attention into every job, whether it’s a complete home renovation or commissioning handmade curtains. We love to take care of all the ‘smallest’ details and finishing touches that give a space the wow factor.
‘On a personal note, I’m a mother of three children, with a busy family life to juggle and a home to run, alongside a thriving business, so multi-tasking is second nature to me! I understand that a renovation can be a hugely stressful process, even for people in the trade. At Sabella, we understand that feeling of overwhelm when all the strands of a project need to perfectly align and it feels impossible when a million little problems need fixing, and when you feel like the work will never be finished – we’ve been there! But with years of experience and expertise behind us, we can confidently manage large, complex teams, juggle deadlines and delivery dates, and solve big and small problems when they arise, which helps keep the budget under control too.
‘I like to personally reassure all our clients that they can trust us to handle the stress for them and get the job done. I always ask clients for candid feedback at the end of every project, to ensure we are always open to fresh ideas and new ways of working.
‘We work hard to ensure our clients are consistently thrilled and delighted with the service we provide, and many of them become friends and ‘regulars’, returning to us time and again when they need help with their next projects.’
From our Studio in Sonning-on-Thames in Berkshire, we welcome meeting in person, online, or at your home to discuss how we can work together to achieve your vision.
You can get in touch with us by calling Joanna.
Fancy a no-pressure chat with us?
We love discussing design ideas with clients and offer free initial consultations.
Contact us today to find out more.